Saturday, March 18, 2017

1939 Knucklehead Clutch Update....

It twas with high hopes that I began to assemble the clutch in the 39 EL project that I have been working on for nigh on 7 years now....

It had no seal so I incorporated a thick slice of fuel line to do the job (fingers crossed)...

It went together nicely and I completed the install and adjusted it... when I gave a pull on the release arm I knew something was amiss... it was like arm wrestling the fuckin' Hulk! So I fucked with this and that, spring pressure, adjusting screw, etc. and realized it's all gotta come apart again...

I checked the springs and they were fine... length and tension all good. So I'm sliding stuff in and out and what not, I notice that one of the metal plates is hanging up on the 2489-36 Drive Disk with Adjusting Studs (yeah that's the name H-D gave to the part in the pic above)

It was this one above... it was catching on wear burrs on the slots of that Drive Disc... the wear was from these metal plates moving to and fro during clutch operation. they cut into the sides of the slots in the Drive Disc and push a little burr of metal up... this plate would catch as I tried to slide it in and out... very interesting...

....But the other did not catch... comparing the two I notice the other had little notches cut into it on either side of the "tangs"... hhhhmmmm... see above and below

Notice the little notches on each side of the "tang" that let this plate slide past the wear burrs....

I also noticed that one friction plate had splits in 4 of it's "tangs" acting like springs.... I'm guessing anti-rattle like the spring balls on the later clutch plates? Another Factory Update? 

Notice splits above....

No splits in this plate...

So I head to my clutch parts pile and what to my wondering eyes should appear? What looks like a factory fix to the metal plates! See the big old notches in them! Ah Ha!!!! So instead of using these factory updated plates (my theory anyway) I grabbed the Dremmel and cut my own notches in the plate I had... I also hit the burrs on the Drive Disc with a file... it all went together like a dream and the clutch works great now!!!! 

All assembled and ready for chain adjustment! Now let that be a lesson to yuh! (It was to me)

Friday, March 17, 2017

The Wizard of Vardhalla!!!!! Photos by Boon...







Photo's by "Boon" of The Mechanical Wizard of Stockholm (now known as Vardhalla), Nicke Svensson's, Insane Knucklehead!


Monday, March 6, 2017

1939 Knucklehead Progress...

Spending some quality time with The Rocketeer...

Brake linkage complete

stole a top inner bracket from a donor and crudely installed...

Inner on and ready for clutching...

Taking shape!


Wednesday, February 22, 2017

1947 Flathead Un-Redding process... Rear Wheel Time...


So years ago when I re-did my 1947 Flathead I had a red and chrome theme in mind... and I went a little crazy with the red...well soon after that, the 'Rat Rod" flat black, red rim, whitewall craze jumped into high gear... I wasn't a huge fan of that, so over the last couple years I've been toning down the red and adding things like front brake, ride control, etc. still sticking with the red and chrome theme, but going with more chrome than red...

Picked up a $40 chrome wheel at a swap meet last week

Cleaned it up...

Disassembled the hub...

Serviced the hub...

Popped on a new Deluxe blackwall tire....

Popped off the red rim / whitewall...


Popped on the new chrome / blackwall




Takes the edge off nicely... 



Wednesday, February 8, 2017

1939 Knucklehead Rear Wheel Work - Updating the 1935 - 1937 Early Step Hub...(and an interesting discovery regarding the rear brake...)



The wheel I'm using on my 39 is actually a 35 - 37 wheel. The hubs on these early step hub wheels are different and can wear causing problems. Main issue is that there is no 3981-39 Roller Retainer Thrust Washer (top hat washer) pressed into the hub on the big bearing side.... Thanks to Matt Olsen for turning me on to this upgrade!!!!

To update it to the 38 - 39 style you need a few things... a later center sleeve, a 3982-39 small side thrust washer and a 3981-39 Roller Retainer Thrust Washer (top hat washer)... see above. The same bearings, snap rings, etc. are used...


3981-39 Roller Retainer Thrust Washer (top hat washer)
I banged this outta a broken later hub (any year star hub).

"Pressed" it right in caveman style using an old wide glide fork tube and a small sledge hammer... make sure the hub is supported properly as not to brake the flange off on the other side... 

Make sure the "top hat" washer is seated and your bearing, washer and snap ring fit properly... make sure the snap ring seats and can be moved around in the groove...


Put the rest together as you would normally...

Ready for service!

Stuck the wheel on and sized things up...

Getting there...

Mounted a Firestone ANS

Sizing it up again...

Even better...

Got the crossover squared away...

Pulled this of my "sidelined" military big twin side car rig...

Beautiful condition..

Looking good!



Took off the OD I sprayed on it 25 years ago to uncover the black paint underneath by previous owner, then I discovered, upon further investigation, it has original USN (Navy) gray under the black! Turns out my Military Big Twin was once a USN Knuckle with a side car!!!!!

USN Gray hidden away all these years!!!!
Upon even further investigation, the Knuckle Tanks on my military sidecar rig have USN gray under the paint as well! But that's a story for another post...

Hate to do it but I'm using this old Navy brake set up on the 39 EL... brought it back to the old black paint that was under the OD (that I sprayed) and not all the way down to the USN Gray...



On it goes!

I likey...